Weed Team Meeting
Location: IDFG Waterlife Discovery Center, 2100 Lakeshore Drive, Sagle, ID 83860
Date: Wednesday May 28th, 2014
Time: 1:00 to 3:00 pm
Present: Jim Teare, Jim Derrig, Tom Woolf, Britta Peterson and Erin Mader
- Appointment of Secretary
- Delta Project Background
- Team Objectives and Mission
- Discussion Items
- Next meeting
2. Erin was appointed as secretary
3. Project Background:
JJ Teare went over some of the basics of the Clark Fork River Delta Restoration Project. He explained that there are a lot of resources to apply to this effort, but it will entail an organized, concise approach.
The Weed Team will develop a plan for the entire project area; this year the team will be concentrating on Area 3. The environmental assessment (EA) was prepared for the entire project and a lot of the work this year will set the structure and access for future areas. Most of the Project area is owned by the U.S. Army Corps of Engineers and managed by IDFG via a long-term license agreement. There is also some BLM land in the project area.
Teare went over the three main causes of erosion in the delta; wave fetch at the face of the delta, high river flows on the inside banks, and saturation from high water levels causing the banks to fall out with the drawdown.
Teare briefly went over some of the major constructions of the project. Hard surfaces with plantings will be used at the face of the delta. Bendway weirs will be used to divert flows into the center of the river channel and away from the banks. Shallow embankments behind the breakwaters will be used to absorb some of the wave action.
4. Team Objectives and Mission:
The team decided that its mission is to “Develop a weed management plan for the entire Clark Fork River Delta restoration, with a separate weed management designs for each phase of the project.”
The team compiled a list of things that will be needed in order to devise the management plan and designs.
- Inventory of noxious and undesirable plants?
- What is the planting plan? What areas will be planted and when? Can we modify the schedule?
- What are the acreages of the types of habitats (uplands, rock slopes, wetlands)?
- Acreage of existing soils, cleaned soils and soil types?
- An aquatic weed survey should be done this summer.
- Is there the possibility of having a contractor do an aquatic treatment?
- Do we have a NPDES permit or is that in process for aquatic treatments?
- What are the aquatic chemical limitations of the area on Federal ownership?
- What is the timing of the grass plantings?
5. Discussion Items:
The group made a rough plan of how to proceed
- Look at some weed plans. Ask Brad Bluemer for some plans.
- Pencil out techniques:
By timing (pre-contractor work, establishment period and long-term management)
- ***For future phases, burn before the water comes up.
6. Next meeting: June 18th, 1-4 pm at the Clark Fork Driftyard